Perinatal mood and anxiety disorders (PMADS) describe a variety of difficult emotional states that may occur during pregnancy or after childbirth. These disorders are considered to be the most common complication of pregnancy and childbirth, yet are sometimes overlooked by well-meaning medical practitioners.
Symptoms of Perinatal Mood & Anxiety Disorders
Symptoms can range from chronic sadness to extreme anxiety or obsessions and negatively affect aspects of daily life including eating, sleeping and general self-care. Other symptoms of perinatal mood and anxiety disorders may include:
- Feeling completely overwhelmed and having difficulty concentrating
- Feeling sad much of the time
- Loss of interest in usual activities
- Feeling irritable or angry
- Feelings of anxiety including faster heart and breathing rate, tightness in chest / “racing” thoughts
- Feeling guilt and shame; feeling like a “bad” mother
- Difficulty bonding with the baby
- Fear of being alone with the baby; fear of harming oneself or the baby
- Having “scary,” intrusive thoughts about harm coming to the baby (The repetitive, intrusive images and thoughts are very frightening and can feel like they come “out of the blue.” Research has shown that these images are anxious in nature, not delusional, and have very low risk of being acted upon. It is far more likely that the parent with this symptom takes steps to avoid triggers and avoid what they fear is potential harm to the baby.
- Possible disappointment in circumstances surrounding baby’s birth or birth Trauma may contribute to symptoms of postpartum depression or anxiety.
Postpartum mood disorders are very common affecting up to 20% of women after childbirth, and is completely treatable. Often women find a combination of therapy, support groups and medications are helpful.
Postpartum Depression & Anxiety Counseling in Nashua, NH
If you are living with postpartum depression or anxiety, you may worry you will never feel “normal” again. Maybe it feels like you’ve lost control or you are afraid you’ll be a bad mom. Perhaps you feel that your postpartum depression symptoms have negatively impacted your marriage or family relationships.
If you are ready to regain control of your mental health & begin enjoying motherhood, we can help. Our Nashua, NH women’s counseling clinic has therapists who specialize in postpartum depression & anxiety. We’ve helped other women & can help you as well. Call Women’s Counseling of Nashua and start feeling better now. It can and does get better.
*A Note About Mental Health Crisis Services*
If you feel that you are experiencing a crisis or clinical emergency and need immediate support please visit your local ER or call the National Suicide Prevention Hotline at 1-800-273-8255 or www.suicidepreventionlifeline.org.
Get help with postpartum depression and anxiety
Whether you live in Nashua NH, Merrimack NH, Hudson NH or Tyngsboro MA, the compassionate therapists at our women’s counseling center in Nashua can help. Getting the support you deserve begins with these three easy steps:
- Contact us for more information on our services.
- Get matched to a therapist (meet Our Therapists)
- Come in and start the journey to feeling better.
Make an appointment for postpartum depression and anxiety help.
Contact us for more information on our services.
Meet Our Therapists.
Other Services at Women’s Counseling of Nashua
In addition to counseling for postpartum depression & anxiety, we offer a wide range of mental health services. Our focus is on helping women thrive and be the best version of themselves. Other mental health services at our clinic include counseling for complicated pregnancies & traumatic births, support after miscarriage or a stillbirth, infertility, health & medical issues, parenting, eating disorder treatment, stress management, work-life balance, couples & marriage counseling, career counseling & general individual counseling.