A medical diagnosis of infertility is a life crisis and can be one of the most stressful situations a woman or couple may go through in their lifetimes. Often there is a physical, emotional, and financial toll. Many physicians and clinics focus primarily on the physical aspects of infertility, leaving the patient to cope with the emotional aspects on their own. Many describe the process of going through treatments as like being on a roller coaster, with high hopes of the success of a new treatment and the devastating lows of a failed IUI or IVF treatment attempt. Coping with infertility can also put a great strain on a couple’s relationship, particularly if the partners cope with the stress associated with infertility in different ways or are not on the same page regarding making decisions. Many women report the following symptoms while coping with infertility:
- Overwhelming feelings of sadness and despair particularly following a failed fertility treatment
- Preoccupation with their infertility issues and process
- Fear and uncertainty of the future
- Feeling that their lives are “on hold” until their infertility is resolved
- Anger and jealousy of others who are pregnant or who have children (and subsequently feeling “bad” about oneself for having those feelings)
- Difficulty sleeping, eating and concentrating
- Relationship problems
It can be extremely helpful to talk with a counselor with expertise in treating the psychological implications of infertility. Many clients say that they feel less alone and more “normal” after engaging in counseling.
For more information see our resource page.
You don’t have to feel alone with your infertility diagnosis
Whether you’re located in MA or NH, we can provide support through the use of telehealth, as all of our providers are licensed in both states. Getting the support you deserve begins with these three easy steps:
- Contact us for more information on our services.
- Get matched to a therapist (meet Our Therapists)
- Come in and start the journey to feeling better.
Make an appointment today.
Other Services at Women’s Counseling of Nashua
In addition to counseling for postpartum depression & anxiety, we offer a wide range of mental health services. Our focus is on helping women thrive and be the best version of themselves. Other mental health services at our clinic include counseling for complicated pregnancies & traumatic births, support after miscarriage or a stillbirth, infertility, health & medical issues, parenting, stress management, work-life balance, career counseling & general individual counseling.